Just over a month ago I announced that my book, Legacy of Faith, had won the Word Alive Press Publishing Contest and would become published. Don’t worry, that’s still happening! But after careful thought, the good people there felt that the title I’ve been using might be too common. They also thought it sounds more like a memoir, which, though it is a true story, my book isn’t.
We talked about a few options, most of which centred on the idea of the ocean. We’ve decided on Across the Deep, and here’s why:
- All three of the book’s characters cross the ocean at some significant point.
- The ocean can be synonymous with trials, which figure prominently in the book
- The ocean, in particular walking on it, is also a metaphor for faith
- The idea of those who have gone on before us waiting on the “farther shore”
- The nearness of God in trials as described in Psalm 42 – “deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfall”
- I’ve been thinking a lot about Hillsong United’s “Oceans” as a theme song for this book, and it’s influenced the choice of this title, too
So from now on, I’ll be referring to Legacy of Faith as Across the Deep, but it’s still the same story, and hopefully this title will get that story out more effectively.
What are your thoughts? Do you like the new title?